What I Like About...
Sunday, October 03, 2004
  Springfield Symphony Orhestra performance notes #1
Nimrod From the Enigma Variations by Edward Elgar
Scottish Fantasy by Max Bruch
Fountains of Rome/Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi

Peter Stafford Wilson, conducting
Sandra Wolf-Meei Cameron, violin

Shortly before the start of our 2004-05 season our principal oboist, James Mitchell, died of heart failure. We performed the Nimrod variaition as a memorial to Jim. To my ears, it was also a reminder of creative power we all possess--however known or obscure we may be--the nobility of that power and the brevity of our lives.

The Scottish Fantasy was a relief from the difficulty of playing for Jim. However, that piece stinks. How can anyone listen to Scottish tunes without drinking? Who would want to? Ms. Cameron's youth and enjoyable competence did well with Bruch's essay. I look forward to hearing her play something else.

I am a fan of Respighi and this was my first time performing the Roman postcards. So, I had fun with that. But, part time 'cellist I may be, I yearn for programing more relevant to the good people of Springfield. When when I started playing in this orchestra a few years ago I was impressed with the adventuresome programming and the strong educational outreach programs. We have since cut our education programs and seem to avoid pieces that are not available at the Clark County Public Library. And the audience I saw last night was the smallest I have ever seen in Kuss Auditorium.

Read also about this good idea
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
In January 2004 I starting writing an opinion for each selection in the Norton Recorded Anthology of Western Music. Now, more than a year later, I am almost finished. Soon, I will have an archive full of opinions on the music we so carelessly call "classical." And no one can stop me.

Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

Director of the Contemporary Performer's Workshop... Music Teacher for St. Aloysius Gonzaga School... Principal 'Cellist of the Springfield Symphony Orchestra... Composer

Read Also...
Music Reference Links
Links to Composers and Collaborations
Miscellaneous Links
What I Said About...